What is __BSD_VISIBLE for?
Keith Bottner
2005-01-18 17:14:21 UTC
I have noticed that __BSD_VISIBLE is used through out the sys headers. What
is this used to distinguish between? Anyone? Where is it set? Or where
should it be set?

Keith
Nikolas Britton
hu?
Keith Bottner
2005-01-18 19:31:16 UTC
__BSD_VISIBLE is throughout the system header files that are located at
sys/sys, specifically I am looking at the msg.h file and the struct mymsg;
however, I have noticed this in quite a few other places and I was hoping
that someone out there would know what its use is?

Keith

Steven Smith
2005-01-18 20:15:18 UTC
Post by Keith Bottner
__BSD_VISIBLE is throughout the system header files that are located at
sys/sys, specifically I am looking at the msg.h file and the struct mymsg;
however, I have noticed this in quite a few other places and I was hoping
that someone out there would know what its use is?
There are a few features which are traditional for BSD systems, but
whcih are incompatible with e.g. POSIX. These tend to be hidden
behind #ifdef __BSD_VISIBLE, so that programs only see them if they
want them.

__BSD_VISIBLE is #define's automatically by sys/cdefs.h, but you can
disable that with a special option to gcc (-traditional, I think).

Steven.
Keith
I have noticed that __BSD_VISIBLE is used through out the sys headers.
What is this used to distinguish between? Anyone? Where is it set? Or
where should it be set?
Keith
hu?
One day, I'm going to get an Alice-bot to answer all my email for me,
and see how long it takes people to notice.